Social Services FAQ

Am I eligible for welfare in Wayne?
One of the main purposes of the Senior and Social Services Department is to administer general assistance benefits to Wayne residents who require financial assistance and are currently ineligible for participation in any other public assistance program in New Jersey.  Eligibility requirements are as follows: Between the age of 18-65. Single or married couple without dependent children under 18 years of age. Have no source of income or bank accounts. Have exhausted all other benefits or resources prior to application for assistance. (Exceptions apply.) For more information call the Director of Social Services at (973) 694-1800 ext. 3281.

My family and I need financial assistance, who should I speak to?
Families in need should call Passaic County Board of Social Services (973) 839-5705 or visit

How do I get information about low-income housing and Section 8?
The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sets income limits that determine eligibility for assisted housing programs including the Public Housing, Section 8 project-based, Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, Section 202 housing for the elderly, and Section 811 housing for persons with disabilities programs. HUD develops income limits based on Median Family Income estimates and Fair Market Rent area definitions for each metropolitan area, parts of some metropolitan areas, and each non-metropolitan county.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) publishes these standards yearly.  The current standards for New Jersey counties and those in other states are on HUD's website

Most of the affordable housing is for people with low and moderate incomes.  Low income is defined as at or below 50 percent of median family income.  Moderate income is over 50 percent, but no more than 80 percent of median family income.

Presently, all low/moderate-income housing units in Wayne are filled and have a waiting list. Some rental properties will place eligible Wayne residents on a waiting list. Some will not, as their waiting list is full. Call the Social Services Department (973) 694-1800 ext. 3281 for the list of participating low/moderate-income housing contact numbers.

How do I register for WIC?
The Official WIC program is available to low to moderate-income pregnant women, recently delivered women, breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5 who are at nutrition risk. Fathers can also bring their children to apply for WIC. You may apply for WIC if you are working or unemployed. You must meet income guidelines to be eligible for WIC. Call St. Joseph’s WIC program to register (973) 754-4575 or visit St Josephs WIC Program

How do I register for food stamps/SNAP?
Most families and individuals who meet the program’s income guidelines are eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly the Food Stamp Program). The size of a family’s SNAP benefit is based on its income and certain expenses. Call (973) 839-5705 for more information or visit NJSNAP for more information.

Am I eligible to use the food pantry?
If you are a Wayne resident in need of food and meet specific financial criteria you may be eligible. Call (973) 694-1800 ext. 3281

I need help with my utilities. Where can I go?
Utility bill payment assistance programs are available to low and moderate-income households. Eligibility is based on income. Low-income families can contact Weatherization and Home Energy at The Passaic County Website or call 973-569-4032 for assistance. Families ineligible for low-income assistance can apply for NJSHARES. NJ SHARES is a safety net for households in an emergency or crisis. Applicants must provide identification, current monthly income, and energy bill information. Visit for specific details about the program. The Social Services Director, 973-694-1800 ext. 3281, can provide information about the application process.

Are there any dental services I can get?
Yes. There are requirements to participate. Contact the Nursing Department, 973-694-1800 ext. 3237.

I need to get rid of old/unused medication. Where can I go?
Project Medicine Drop has two locations in Wayne: The Wayne Police Department, 475 Valley Road, and the Passaic County Sheriff’s Office, 435 Hamburg Turnpike. Go to for more information.

I’m a veteran. Where can I get more information about services?
Passaic County Veteran’s Affairs (973) 569-4090. Passaic County Veteran's Affairs

I need some resources for my senior parent(s), who should I contact?
You can call the Director of Social Services (973) 694-1800 ext. 3281.

When is the Senior Picnic?
The Senior Picnic is in September at James W. Roe Memorial Pool. Call Parks and Recreation for more information (973) 694-1800 ext. 3258 or 3260. or check the Calendar.

How do I participate in the Senior Olympics?
Call the Parks and Recreation Department (973) 694-1800 ext. 3258 or 3260. 

Where can I get a handicap placard?
Applicants must complete the application form (SP-41), which can then be dropped off at the local Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) agency or mailed to: NJ Motor Vehicle Commission Special Plate Unit, PO Box 015, Trenton, NJ 08666-0015. Applications for temporary placards are available at any local police station or online. A qualified medical practitioner must certify that the applicant qualifies for a temporary placard. The completed form, along with a check or money order made payable to the Motor Vehicle Commission for $4.00, must be submitted in-person to a municipal chief of police.  

Are there any transportation services I can use?
Yes. NJ Transit has public transportation with multiple stops in Wayne. Visit NJ Transit or call 1-800-772-2222 for more information. 

The Township offers senior citizens bus transport services that have some restrictions and/or requirements, call (973) 694-1800 ext. 3260. 

The Passaic County Para Transit Program provides transportation for the county’s senior citizens and disabled residents in need of non-emergency rides to medical appointments, shopping centers, county-run nutrition, and adult day care sites, and for the disabled residents to attend group work programs. Call (973) 305-5756 or visit for more information.

When is the Health Fair?
The Wayne Health Fair is typically held in October at Wayne Valley High School. Check the Calendar for details.

How can I become a vendor at the Health Fair?
To see if you can be a vendor at the Health Fair contact the Health Educator at 973-694-1800 ext. 3242 or 973-831-5455.

When are the SMAC blood screenings offered?
Typically the SMAC Blood Screening is offered in April and October of every year. The next SMAC Screening is scheduled for a Saturday in October. Pre-registration is required. Registration begins in mid-September and ends in mid-October. Call 973-694-1800 extension 3281 for an appointment.

What screenings are included and/or available with the SMAC screening?
SMAC-23 CBC, T4, T3U, and T7 Blood Screening is offered for a fee of $25.00. Additional tests available include: PSA for $18.00, Lyme for $20, CRP for $30, Hepatitis B for $15, Hepatitis C for $15, TSH for $17, Vitamin D for $20 and AIC for $15. To register for an appointment online visit: (Health & Welfare, Activities/Events/Clinics), or call 973-694-1800 ext. 3281 for an appointment.

How long does it take before I receive the results of the SMAC screening?
It typically takes two to three weeks before you will receive your results (if you submit a self-addressed stamped envelope when you register).

How do I donate to the food pantry?
You can drop off food at any of the drop-off box locations: Wayne Health Department lobby, Wayne Public Library, Preakness Library, or the pantry itself on 1 Pike Drive. To learn more about the pantry and its changing needs visit:

I’d like to donate clothes. Where can I go? 
Wayne Council of PTO’s Browse and Shop Thrift Store, 1502 Hamburg Turnpike (the building to the left of Schuyler Colfax Middle School), 973-633-3907 and St. Timothy’s Heart n’ Hands Mission, 395 Valley Road, (973) 694-8316 Mailbox #6. To donate women’s suits or business attire call Women in Transition on Hamburg Turnpike, (973) 694-9215 to arrange a drop-off time.

Does Wayne Township loan out or accept donations of crutches, walkers, or wheelchairs?

I’d like to donate glasses where can I go?
Outside the municipal complex, on the walkway in front of the Police entrance to the building, the Lions Club has a yellow drop off box to collect glasses.

I’d like to donate a cell phone, where can I bring it?
The Passaic County Sheriff’s Office, 435 Hamburg Turnpike, Wayne.

How do I register for Yoga and/or Lookin’ Good Exercise Programs?
Call (973) 694-1800 ext. 3242. or visit the Events Calendar.

How do I register for the flu clinic? How much is it for a flu vaccine? Where and when are they?
The information is on the Health Calendar

Town Hall

475 Valley Road
Wayne, NJ 07470
Weekdays 8:30am-4:30pm
Tuesdays open until 7:00 pm
Sat & Sun: Closed
Closed on State Holidays

Wayne DPW Complex

201 Dey Road
Wayne, NJ 07470
Weekdays 7:00am-3:30pm
Sat & Sun: Closed
Closed on State Holidays