Fire protection is provided by five volunteer fire companies:
- Community Fire Company Number 1 on Parish Drive
- Property Owner League (P.O.L.) Fire Company Number 2 on Myrtle Avenue (Alps Road and Route 23).
- Pompton Falls Fire Company Number 3 on Jackson Avenue.
- Preakness Fire Company Number 4 on Ratzer Road (near Hamburg Turnpike).
- Packanack Lake Fire Company Number 5 on Lake Drive West and Osborne Terrace.
Each company elects its own officers and maintains its own equipment and headquarters. The companies have a total of eleven pumpers, two aerial towers with aerial ladders, two squad trucks, nine boats, one rescue/extrication vehicle, and one Special Emergency Response Team (S.E.R.T.) vehicle. A system of home plectrons with direct pagers and contact through the police communications center provides quick contact in case of fire.
The township Fire Commissioner is elected by the firefighters and appointed by the mayor and council for a two-year term. Each company has one of its members serve in turn. The Fire Commissioner is in charge of all fires, maintains contact with other fire departments, keeps abreast of new procedures and firefighting techniques, approves the appointment of new volunteers, and serves as advisor and consultant to the township in matters of fire protection and prevention.
Firefighters are trained by the chiefs of their own companies but all new members must attend the Passaic County Fire Academy for fire training and certification in firefighter I & II courses. Funds are available for attendance at Fire School. An applicant must be a Wayne resident for at least six months, be between the ages of eighteen and forty-five, pass a physical examination and criminal background check. There is a one-year probationary period. Promotions are earned and elected.
The township provides a fund of approximately $150,000 to be shared equally by the five fire companies. It also supplies funds for the rental of radios, maintenance of sirens, an allowance for uniforms, and additional funds are appropriated under "Insurance" for life, disability and death benefit insurance, and for a spouse's fund.
The fire department also depends on donations from the public and hosts fund drives on occasion in their perspective fire districts. Other monies are raised by renting their fire halls to individuals for special occasions.
Adding to the fire departments specialties is the Special Emergency Response Team (S.E.R.T.). This team is comprised of several highly trained firefighters who assist in special situations, such as confined space rescues.
Anyone interested in joining their local fire department can do so by visiting any one of the five firehouses in the township for additional details.
Wayne Memorial First Aid Squad & Fire Department Needs Volunteers
- An All-Volunteer Fire Department & First Aid Squad protect and serve the residents of Wayne Township.
- These dedicated volunteers save Wayne taxpayers millions of dollars each year through their unselfish service.
- In order to maintain a high level of service provided to our residents, both organizations need volunteers.
- Volunteer firefighters & emergency medical technicians experience a level of thrill, excitement, camaraderie, teamwork, pride, accomplishment, and the satisfaction of helping others in need that is second to none.
- Active volunteer members also receive an annual clothing allowance, tuition reimbursement at Passaic County educational institutions for you and your family, full workers compensation insurance, FREE use of the Township swim facilities, and the new LOSAP program which provides $1350 per year deposited in a tax-deferred income account for each volunteer who earns the required number of points.
Fire Department: 973-694-1800 Ext 4714 | First Aid Squad: 973-633-2994