• Laurelwood-Garden-Early-Spring-2013
  • Laurelwood-Garden10
  • bridge-sept-2010
  • Wayne-Valley-HS-Rainbow-2
  • Bridge-Packanack-Lake-Dawn

Municipal Court FAQ

Do I need to appear in court if I choose to plead guilty and pay the fine?
If the “Court Appearance Required” box has not been checked on the complaint and if the charge is listed on either the Statewide Violations Bureau Schedule or the Local Violations Bureau Schedule, you may pay the fine without appearing in court. The Statewide Violations Bureau Schedule is a list of state offenses that may be paid without going to court. The Local Violations Schedule is a list of municipal ordinances that may be paid without going to court. You can pay your fine at the court’s payment window, by mail or by going to NJMCdirect.com.  If you pay without going to court, you will be pleading guilty and giving up your right to a lawyer and your right to a trial.

Court appearances are always required in criminal matters.

If I can plead guilty without going to court, how much will I have to pay?
The amount of the fine is in the Statewide or Local Violations Bureau Schedules. These schedules are available for review at the Municipal Court office. The Statewide Violations Bureau Schedule is also posted at njcourts.gov.

What should I expect when I go to court?
  • Prior to entering the courtroom, please turn off or silence your phone or pager.
  • When you get to court, check in with court staff.
  • Listen to instructions from court staff and from the judge. The proceedings are sound recorded, so please remain quiet until it is your time to speak.
  • The judge will give an opening statement explaining court procedures, defendants’ rights and penalties.
    • Cases are usually called in the following order:
        • Requests for postponements
        • Uncontested motions
        • First arraignments
        • Guilty pleas
        • Contested motions
        • Pleas of not guilty with an attorney
        • Pleas of not guilty without an attorney
  • A case may be postponed to give you time to obtain representation by a private attorney or by a public defender if you qualify and prepare your defense. If you need a postponement, ask the court staff for assistance.
  • If your case involves a dispute between you and another person, you may be required to participate in a discussion with a mediator to attempt to settle the dispute without going in front of the judge.

What is a plea agreement?
A plea agreement is a way to settle a case. Plea agreements are negotiated with the prosecutor, an attorney who represents the state. You will be given the opportunity to speak to the prosecutor to try to settle your case. You are not required to speak to the prosecutor. All plea agreements must be approved by the judge.

What happens if I plead guilty in court?
If you plead guilty in court, the judge will ask questions regarding the offense charged to make sure there are facts to support the guilty plea and to determine that your plea is voluntary. The judge will then make a finding and impose a sentence. If you plead guilty or are found guilty of traffic offenses in court, the penalties listed on the Violations Bureau Schedule do not apply.

What if I plead not guilty?
If you plead not guilty, the judge will preside over a trial to determine whether you are guilty or not guilty. The trial may be held that day, but in certain circumstances it may be rescheduled. In a trial, the prosecutor first will call the state’s witnesses, the witnesses against you.

They will answer the prosecutor’s questions and present any other evidence they have. When the prosecutor is finished with each witness, you, or your attorney, will be permitted to ask them questions about their testimony.

When the prosecutor’s case is complete, it will be your turn to call witnesses and present evidence on your behalf.  You can testify, although you are not required to do so. If you testify, the prosecutor can ask you questions or cross-examine you. After all witnesses and evidence have been presented, the judge will decide whether you are guilty or not guilty.  If you are found guilty, the judge will impose a sentence.

Can I use the Internet to find more information or to plead guilty and pay a fine?
Yes. For certain offenses, where a court appearance is not required, you can find out the total amount that you must pay if you plead guilty and pay through NJMCdirect.com.

You can obtain more information about the municipal courts and the New Jersey Judiciary at njcourts.gov.

If I am found guilty, what happens after court?
You will be required to pay all monetary penalties, as ordered by the judge. Under certain circumstances, the court can permit you to pay over a period of time.

You will be given instructions on how to comply with any other parts of your sentence.

How can I appeal a decision of the court?
If you disagree with the judge’s decision, you may appeal, but if you appeal, you must file the appeal within 20 calendar days of your conviction. You will be required to pay a deposit that will be applied against the cost of preparing a transcript of the trial. You also will be required to pay a $100 filing fee.  Ask the court staff to provide you with a copy of the appeal packet, “How to Appeal a Decision of a Municipal Court.” Information on representing yourself in an appeal is also available at njcourts.gov.

What happens when the court’s orders are not obeyed?
People who do not come to court when summoned or subpoenaed, make payments as required, or comply with other requirements of their sentences, face additional punishments including fines, drivers’ license suspensions, arrest and jail.

FAQ Courtesy
New Jersey Judiciary
Municipal Court Services Division
PO Box 986
R. J. Hughes Justice Complex Trenton, NJ 08625-0986 609-815-2900 x 54850 phone
609-815-2941 fax
 More information can be found at njcourts.gov

Municipal Court

court1NJMCdirect - the fast, secure and convenient way to access your traffic ticket information online. Please have the following information ready:

            • Parking or Traffic Ticket
            • License Plate Number

The Wayne Municipal Court is situated in the Municipal Building at 475 Valley Road, Wayne NJ. There are four Court sessions per week as follows: Tuesday at 2:00 p.m., Thursday at 9:00 and 1:30 p.m., and Friday at 9 a.m. The Tuesday and Thursday sessions handle first appearances and ‘not guilty pleas’ on traffic and criminal matters, D.W.I. arraignments, property maintenance complaints and borough ordinance violations. D.W.I. and criminal trials are conducted at the Friday session. A fifth session is added, when needed, to accommodate case load.

The Municipal Court has jurisdiction over disorderly person and petty disorderly person offenses, violations of motor vehicle and traffic laws, fish and game laws, code enforcement, penalty enforcement and township ordinances violations.

Two township Magistrates preside over the Court. They are appointed by the Mayor, with the advice and consent of the Council, for a three year term and are assisted by a Certified Court Administrator and a staff of seven: two Accredited Deputy Court Administrators, four Violation Clerks, and two part-time clerks. Three Prosecutors represent the State. Two Public Defenders represent defendants unable to afford counsel and determined indigent for representation purposes in Municipal Court matters. These matters must involve a sentence of magnitude, such as jail time, loss of driver’s privileges, as well as, significant monetary fines.

The purpose of the Municipal court system is the fair and equitable administration of justice. The goal is to provide the citizenry of Wayne with quality customer service in a professional manner with courtesy and respect. The operations of the Municipal Court continue to expand to protect residents, property and the unique way of life which has become characteristic of our community.

The Wayne Municipal Court is a presumptive mediation court. We utilize the Complimentary Dispute Resolution Program in which disputes involving neighbours, friends or family members are first sent to Mediation in lieu of the filing of a formal complaint, if it falls within the perimeters set by the program. The program was designed to mediate reasonable solutions to problems in the community. Mediation hearings are scheduled as needed by the Court Administrator, usually once a month. A trained mediator meets with both parties in a safe, neutral setting within the Municipal Building with the goal of resolving their disputes amicably.

The Judges, Court Administrator, and Deputy Court Administrators of Wayne Township Municipal Court are "on call" twenty-four hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to accommodate after hour situations involving processing of complaints on Officers arrests, probable cause determination, setting of bail on bench warrants, domestic violence issues, shoplifting complaints and private citizen matters that are of an emergent nature.

Considerable revenue is generated in the form of fines and penalties which are disbursed to the Municipal Treasurer, State of New Jersey, County of Passaic, and other State Agencies each month by the Court Administrator.

Town Hall

475 Valley Road
Wayne, NJ 07470
Weekdays 8:30am-4:30pm
Tuesdays open until 7:00 pm
Sat & Sun: Closed
Closed on State Holidays

Wayne DPW Complex

201 Dey Road
Wayne, NJ 07470
Weekdays 7:30am-3:30pm
Sat & Sun: Closed
Closed on State Holidays